Monday, June 3, 2019

Lilly, Warren and MUSIC

I cannot even begin to tell you what it's like to be driving along in my car, on a typical Saturday, with Lilly at the radio controls. At the age of 10 -- she knows EVERYTHING about the current music scene. Most of the time, I have absolutely NO IDEA who is singing what.

Last month, I watched the Grammy's (because Kelly Clarkson was host) -- afterwards, trying to look cool, I asked Lilly, "do you like BTS?"  (the very hot Korean rock group).  She wasn't even impressed...but, instead, said..."No.  They look like seven Justin Biebers standing in a row..."

I laughed, and then Lilly said, "But I do like Black Pink"

Hummm...two days later, I Googled, and discovered that BlackPink is the K-Pop GIRL band...

This girl LIVES for music. Her favorite singer is Billie Eilish. Two weeks ago, we were driving along, and a song came on the radio. I was in the middle of a sentence when Lilly "shushed" me. I listened to the song...then said, "who was that?"

Lilly said, "that was Billie Eilish song, Grandma -- and that's like finding a unicorn. They don't play her songs on the radio very much."

I didn't understand what the song was about....Lilly said..."Billie doesn't discuss the meaning of her songs. Because she wants you to take your own meaning from the words...when she writes a song, she is inspired by symbols or colors...the one song she sings about her friend who committed suicide..."

And, well -- on it went.

Last Saturday, we were in the car (again) -- and I ask Lilly about every song she is singing along to (she seems to know EVERY word of EVERY song). Most of the time, the singer is Ariana Grande -- and Lilly proceeded to tell me about her biggest song, and why she wrote it, and how many hits it has on YouTube...

I mean -- honestly -- IT IS AMAZING.
At one point, a song came on the radio -- and I thought I knew who was singing. I said, "is that Miley Cyrus".  Big mistake..Lilly gave me a pitying look...

then she said..."No, Grandma. Miley Cyrus hasn't had a song on the radio since I was 4 years old...Wrecking Ball...right now, her Dad is more popular than she is.

Me (hopefully) -- Billie Ray Cyrus has a hit song?

Lilly:  Oh, yes -- he teamed up with Lil Nas X (I had to look up the spelling)...to do the remix for Old Town Road...
No matter where Lilly goes, Warren is close behind. And, always the eager student, he listens to music, and has his own favorite artists. Warren told me his favorite singer is Sam Smith...

So, excuse me while I go Google...

No comments:

Post a Comment