Thursday, June 17, 2021

The New Normal

I can't do any more on my Frankenchair until I know if Ross can make it a swivel chair. So -- I've put that project on hold. 

But life is busy here -- and since John came home -- we are having many good days. He's been working in the yard. My brother comes down every day,

and if he starts the mower for him, John can mow the yard. Cal even had him up on his big John Deere tractor the other day...

I have a Comfort Keeper coming for 11 hours a week (thanks to the VA -- great suggestion, Sue -- thanks again) -- and that's been wonderful.  She comes on Tuesday afternoon, and all day Friday.

Last week, I re-joined Weight Watchers (for at least the fifth time)...ugh.  So, I'm trying to get into the whole mindset of LOSING THE WEIGHT again.  I'd drifted back up to 253 pounds in the last year...so it's time TO GET SERIOUS...

Ross joined WW first -- and I am sooo rooting for him -- I decided it would be a good thing for me to have a place to go once a week and be accountable.  I weighed in at 242 last week...but I'm still trying to figure out the app...

My days have settled into a routine I enjoy...Monday (Cleaning)  Tuesday (TMBC) Wednesday (Ross comes for supper) Thursday (TBD)  Friday (WW, MDF and/or pool)...

So -- fingers crossed -- we are enjoying our last summer here in our country home.  And life has taken on a pleasant rhythm.  I even had a TMBC PORCH PARTY for the first time since 2019...Wow...

 I felt like my life, in many ways, is mirroring the post-Covid economy...and I love the way these people write things up:  In yesterday's "Morning Brew" --

 ***********

The Experience Economy Is Back

Retail sales fell 1.3% in May, which may not seem that important or interesting until you consider how it reflects major changes in the post-Covid economy.

What's going on: People are paying less for things, like sweatpants, and more for experiences, like things you shouldn't do in sweatpants. This is the opposite of what happened during the pandemic, when people could really only buy...things. 

To illustrate the point, restaurant sales have eclipsed grocery sales for the first time since March of last year.

 

2 comments:

  1. A good post, Rita, and encouraging that things are kind of stabilizing for you, with a routine for your days. I'm glad to hear that John is still able to do certain things. I'm sure it makes him feel better, too!

    I'm glad you are able to have a Comfort Keeper come and stay with him, too; you definitely need to have a little time for yourself. Being a caregiver is a More than full-time job!!

    Congrats on getting back to WW; I'll be rooting for you (and Ross, too). Here's to better health!!

    ReplyDelete