Monday, June 7, 2021

John is Home

I brought John home on Friday, May 28th. Altho, I had to pay the June rent ($5,180.00) -- there really wasn't any point in him staying in Memory Care. 

By the time I cook his special oatmeal breakfast (and deliver it to JRP in little baggies so they can nuke it for him every morning)...and do his laundry, make his bed, drive into town to spend two or three hours with him every day -- I AM WORN OUT.

In many ways, it is easier for me to have John come home.  I've figured out a lot of things in the last six weeks -- and he is doing SO MUCH BETTER.

Last week, I started back with the Comfort Keepers (11 hours a week paid for by the Veteran's Administration)...but that didn't go well.  At all.  We'll try again this week.

But the good news is that John's language is nearly normal (although he can't remember words or names, and I have to repeat everything three or four times before it registers with him).  He is not having bathroom issues, he willingly takes a shower in the morning, and he's sleeping through the night...geesh...it sounds like I'm reporting on my toddler, doesn't it?

Alzheimer's is so weird...

Like, for example,  this morning John was standing in the tub, and the water is coming out of the faucet, but he can't remember how to push the button that would engage the SHOWER.  So he's trying to get himself wet by bending down and splashing the water up with his hands.  

The blessing is that John doesn't know he has a problem...and there are days when he is happy as a clam.  (where did THAT goofy phrase come from?  Why do we think clams are happy??)

Other days, of course -- not so much...but I've decided not to write about all that.

Tomorrow -- I'm actually hoping to write about MY SEWING PROJECTS....

Because, of course, for the last six weeks, there have been several sewing projects...

Cuz the truth is -- IT'S THE SEWING THAT KEEPS ME SANE..!!

 

 

5 comments:

  1. So happy he's home with you and you're able to have a 'routine'. 💞

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good News. Hope all continues to go well. Looking forward to seeing the projects. (Especially the chair you where getting fabric for when I saw you at Joannes) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, CAROL -- I am gonna Franken-sew an actual chair.

      Delete
  3. Thankful you have some positives in your lives. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear he's home, and things are going at least somewhat smoothly. Yes, Alzheimer's is weird, and things will probably change from day to day sometimes, but it seems you have made the best decision for the moment. I will update our prayer group, and we will continue to pray for you both. 💖

    I'm glad to hear you are sewing, too. Yes, it does keep us sane! Ron's got different issues, perhaps equally challenging at times, and I realized the other day I hadn't spent nearly enough time in the sewing room lately, so I am remedying that.

    Take care of yourself, Rita!

    ReplyDelete