Thursday, December 31, 2020

THE FIRST SNOW DAY

Wednesday was our first big snow "event" of the winter.  We had about six inches of snow -- and at least an inch of sleet/rain -- which made it crusty and VERY HEAVY to shovel.  Ugh.


I went out four times to shovel the sidewalk and around my car.   That was enough exercise for one day -- and it was actually more interesting than walking on the treadmill.

If you live in Iowa, snow removal is a big deal. And it has ALWAYS been John's job.  Over the years, he threw a lot of money at the toys...sorry...."tools"  to do that job. He bought a walk-behind snow blower, garden tractors with various front and back blades, and even a very large John Deere tractor with a bucket on the front. 

But, the truth is -- for the last two years, my brother Calvin has been digging us out.  John never got comfortable with the big tractor, and he couldn't remember how to start the snow blower.  But he still considered snow removal as his job.  He would pull on his winter boots and gloves, and go outside to "supervise".  

Here's the thing --  yesterday, John had absolutely no awareness that I was shoveling the snow.  I put on my winter duds and go out to shovel (20 minute increments were about all I could handle)...and he sat in his chair, watching television.  He didn't have the least bit of interest in or understanding of what I was doing.

And that's okay.  It is what it is. God knows I need the exercise...and shoveling snow is the EASY part of my life right now...

In the morning -- our DirectTV didn't work.  THANK GOD for the Amazon Firestick.  I've been watching the Netflix series, "Virgin River" -- and I thought John might enjoy it.  But it uses a lot of flashbacks, and it was too confusing. 

Then I remembered how much John loved the movie Gettysburg.  He used to watch it every 4th of July.  

Gettysburg was the first movie John took the boys to.  Ross still remembers it well. After a long, boring 3 hours, the theater lights went on...and Ross was SO HAPPY IT WAS OVER..Then, John told him this was just the "intermission"...and Ross said, "are you kidding me? What did they do -- film it in real time?" 

So -- that was John's day.  He watched Gettysburg while I shoveled snow.  At 3:00,  Calvin came down with his road grader (that is only a slight exaggeration)  to dig out our long driveway.  Cal came in for a cup of coffee and John barely looked up...

My loaf of bread turned out great...and I made some chicken wings in my new oven.  I'm working on a New York City 1000 piece puzzle....that certainly brings back some wonderful memories...

Here's the best news..... 

IT'S OFFICIAL.  TODAY is the LAST DAY of 2020, and WE MUST, Thank God, OFFICIALLY SAY GOODBYE TO THE HORRIBLE 2020...!! 

********

ALSO -- Happy Birthday, LP..!!  We are all missing TMBC right now -- but, hopefully -- the vaccine is on the way...and the world will soon be a safer place.

THANK GOD FOR SEWING, EH??









 


1 comment:

  1. 2020 has been a year of AWFUL events for so many. Especially you. Sure hope 2021 is a much better far less stressful year. Sending prayers and lots of warm hugs to see the new year in.

    ReplyDelete