Sunday, December 12, 2021

A Holiday Blogging Break

On Tuesday, December 8, 2020, John got in his truck, intending to drive 6 miles to visit his friend. He ended up on I-80, 150 miles away from home.

That was the day I accepted the fact that John had Alzheimer's and taking care of him was now my full time job.

Fast forward to Wednesday, December 8, 2021...

On Tuesday (December 7), John spent the day singing karaoke with his friend Don. He went to bed at 4:30, completely whipped. He had a restless night (not unusual) -- and he woke up Wednesday with a bad case of heartburn. He was burping and spitting up phlegm. I figured he drank too much coffee during his Don Day...

I took him to the Express Care clinic. When we got there the Doctor said a heart attack can often present as indigestion -- so John should go to the Emergency Room -- just to be sure...

We spent the entire day in the E.R...and the tests came back fine. Temperature, oxygen levels, blood sugar - all okay.  His blood pressure was okay, his heart tests were fine, no sign of a stroke. I was reading a People magazine, and working on the crossword puzzle.  (we've been to this rodeo many times.)

John was very quiet...almost non-verbal.

Because the hospital has no available beds, I knew we would be sent home as soon as all the test results came back.  I was fine with that.

As the shift was changing (3:30 PM) -- the ER doctor ordered one last test -- a CT scan.

The doctor asked me to come out into the hall. He told me that John has cancer...everywhere. 

I was not expecting that.

Neither was the ER doctor.  He had already contacted our family doctor -- and they both agreed John would not be able to tolerate any kind of treatment. 

So -- everything has changed.   I'm trying to wrap my head around this new thing...

I'm postponing our move.  Indefinitely.  

I cried for two days...my eyes were swollen shut.  John is in hospice.  I told him he has cancer...maybe he understands...maybe not.  He's still pissed he can't drive a car...

I am so sad...There is a hospital bed in our living room...and the potty chair is about 6 feet away from the Christmas tree...

I'm taking a blogging break...

 

7 comments:

  1. Oh Rita, I am so sad and sorry for you!!! I cannot imagine the aching and sorrow you are under right now. Prayers and hugs, from a stranger, I know, but still very well intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Rita, my heart is broken for you and John. One day at a time. Cherish every minute. Feel the love and hugs being sent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ❤💚❤💚 Rita, I will continue to pray for you & John. I was not expecting this to happen with John's health. He's been through so much. You've been through so much as well. You are strong and beautiful. I think of you often. I will miss your blog posts. Please take care. God is holding you in the palm of His hand.❤💚❤💚

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear Rita, I am so sorry. My heart aches for you. Praying for peace for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita, you're in my prayers. Lean on your faith, your family and know that we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my dear friend! My heart aches for you and your family. After the year you've had, and now this...Yes, at this point, staying put does seem to be the best choice, in a place you both know and love. You and your family are in my prayers. I am so so sorry....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending prayers and love your way. Please know your sewing community and all are here to support you. We treasure you and wrap you in a warm blanket hug 💜

    ReplyDelete