Tuesday, December 7, 2021

2021 Holiday Kick-off

WHAT HAPPENED TO 2021? How can this year be almost over?

Last year, Covid robbed us of a 2020 holiday season. All the events that we usually attended were canceled...and, then, too, John and I both had Covid during the holidays.

So, this year -- fingers crossed -- I was hoping for BETTER. But many events and venues simply haven't come back...So -- maybe it's not the BIG things that matter. Maybe this year, I have to appreciate the small moments...I need to make it about the little things...

Like -- decorating a Gingerbread barn!

Or, listening to Lilly practice for her first concert...

I was delighted that, with all her 7th Grade sophistication, she was still willing to construct a Gingerbread village...

And, no fancy office party for us -- but Rhonda and I DID manage to get together for a pre-holiday lunch at one of my favorite diners!! (she was traveling from Nebraska back to Chicago -- and I live right off I-80).

I took Warren to the Princeton Community Center to watch the Polar Express movie. I LOVE THAT MOVIE

So, like so many other things -- Christmas is what it is. And it ain't what it used to be...WHAT IS?? I am painfully aware that this will be our last year in this house...and I'm going to work hard to remember all the good holidays we had here...with my parents and my boys. Dinners I made for my Great Aunt Glad, Aunt Rozella, Uncle Melvin. Babysitting for my nieces and nephews...all the children I watched grow up while we were living in this house... And I am grateful. 

I will always remember the absolute joy of dressing a little girl in velvet holiday dresses...but THAT was then and THIS is now. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Rita, you are so right, these days it's the little moments that are the ones to look for, and you've shared a number of sweet ones with us!

    I'm not sure how our Christmas will go...Ron is scheduled for an angiogram on the 22nd. Talk about timing, huh?! So we will just appreciate every moment as it comes along.

    Oh, and I LOVE The Polar Express movie, too!!! I have to watch it every year! (Ron prefers The Christmas Story).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilly plays the cello! Such a talent and beautiful young lady she has become.
    The restaurant looks like Harlan's.
    My new favorite Christmas Movie is The Christmas Chronicles with Kurt Russel!!! If you have not seen it, look for it on Netflix. It is FUN.

    ReplyDelete