Friday, March 27, 2020

Pedicure


Two weeks ago -- BEFORE THE SKY FELL IN -- I was looking forward to a little day trip to Iowa City to have lunch with my young friend, Anne.

Iowa City is halfway for both of us...and Anne knows all the best restaurants AND thrift stores!!

But -- as I got closer to I-80 -- it was pouring down rain. And that road is SO BUSY...I decided to tap out. I called Anne to cancel.

So, I found myself in Davenport at 9:00 in the morning.

OH MY GOD...IT'S A FREE DAY. I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT...CAL IS TAKING JOHN OUT FOR LUNCH...NOBODY NEEDS ME TO BE ANYWHERE OR DO ANYTHING...

WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO DO???

I KNOW -- I'LL GET A PEDICURE..!!

I treat myself to a pedicure every two or three months. I go to KT Nails on 53rd Street in Davenport -- and Helen does a GREAT job. I usually pick out five colors of polish -- and then, she paints some kind of suitable art on my big toe. I've had Christmas trees...fall leaves...hearts...flags...well, you get the idea.
Hummm...from 2015? I'm guessing it was at Halloween time...
Sitting in the wonderful massage chair is A BIG ELEMENT of my pedicure joy!!

The trouble is, getting a pedicure requires some advance planning. For one thing -- I should be wearing a skirt, or at the very least a loose fitting pair of knit pants. Because Helen does that wonderful massage.you know -- with the hot towels -- she starts with my toes and moves all the way up the calf of my leg...But, on this day -- I'm wearing a tight pair of black jeans. Bummer.

Also -- I should have flip flops...but on that day, I was wearing stockings and dressy shoes (really, Anne -- I was all dressed up for our day!).

I'm already 20 miles away from home...what to do...what to do.

Well, first step is to look in my trunk. BINGO -- flip flops. Check.

Now...about my tight jeans problem...OF COURSE I did what anybody would do. I drove to the nearest thrift store (STUFF) -- and went directly to their clearance rack. 80% off. And I found a brand new LuLu skirt (butt-ugly) which had been $3.99.

So, I paid less than $1...
Hey -- for a ONE TIME wear -- that was the right price!!
And my pedicure?? FANTASTIC.
***********

This post was intended to be light hearted -- and I had this nice picture of the ugly skirt....

But, as I wrote it...I was very sad that I missed that day with Anne.  When will we be able to reschedule?

And that pedicure?  It could be my last one for a very long time...

Then it really hit me.   Like so many other small businesses in this country -- KT Nails is closed.  Will Helen and her employees be able to survive?  They'll have absolutely NO INCOME...for how long?

There are so many pleas for help right now...and I am so fortunate to be retired...on an actual FIXED income that isn't in any danger...

I'm saving so much money by STAYING HOME -- I've decided to send Helen the money and pretend she's giving me a pedicure.

As a matter of fact -- I'm gonna splurge and pamper myself.  I'm going to give myself a virtual pedicure once a month while this thing is happening...

No comments:

Post a Comment