Friday, July 19, 2019

The NEW Porch Table (1)

Our porch is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. Really. In the summer -- it is the heart of our home. John is back to feeding scores of hummingbirds, and we often eat breakfast on the porch. It's where the kids do their Grandma Camp crafting, last week we had our first pesto of the year...

Over the years, NO ROOM in this house has encountered as many changes as our porch. For one thing, the furniture out there has to endure the Iowa elements. 100 degrees in the summer...and 20 below in the winter...

Also, it's nice to have a space where I can experiment. Remember the year I painted the porch couch? If it hadn't worked out -- hey -- IT'S JUST THE PORCH..!!

When the boys were small, I had two picnic tables on the porch.  Eventually, they got all splintery and worn out.  Even new paint couldn't save them.

The next phase in the porch furniture saga was a formica kitchen table. This was a GREAT new addition, and for the next 20 years, many wonderful porch parties took place around that table.
I had six black chrome chairs that went with the table.  But they were VERY uncomfortable...
Last summer, I found these black metal chairs at an Estate sale. They were $4 each, and I was thrilled. They have a much bigger seat, and are very comfortable.
But, sadly, my wonderful formica table was showing it's age. The legs were rusty, and the formica itself was beginning to separate and bubble...
As Ritaluck would have it -- I saw this WONDERFUL dark gray formica table at the local Goodwill. It was only $8.88.  AND IT PERFECTLY MATCHES MY NEW CHAIRS..!!
Believe it or not -- the first time I saw the table, I did NOT buy it. Getting the old table off the porch seemed like a really big job, and I'd have to borrow a truck to pick up the new table and what will I do with the old one?

Ugh.

But, of course, the NEXT day, I had why-didn't-I-buy-it-remorse -- so I went BACK to the Goodwill store. On my way, I called Ross to ask him if we could switch cars for the day (he has a truck)...He could drive my car to work, and I'd use his truck to pick up the new table, and load the old one up to take to the Salvation Army.

Without hesitation, Ross said, "No, Mom. Did you forget you already have a table on the porch?"

Crap.

So, there I was, standing in the Goodwill store...thinking maybe Ross is right...this is just too much work....I'm about to walk away from the wonderful table for the SECOND time...

When the Goodwill lady made this announcement:

"We have an unadvertised special -- ALL FURNITURE IS 50% off today...cash and carry. If you buy it today, you have 2 days to pick it up."

Honestly. $4.44??

Who could pass up that deal?

Hey --  my sister Ronda has a pick-up truck!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment