Monday, September 3, 2018

The REST of the story...

So, it's a hot, humid Saturday afternoon in Iowa....the PERFECT day to go to the movies!!
And a nice opportunity for me to teach a lesson...

Elliott and Emily have 100 peeps in the Spring.  Now, those chickens have started to lay eggs. The E Team decided that collecting and cleaning the eggs would be a good after-school-chore for the kids. They sell the eggs for $1 or $2 a dozen, so it's also a lesson in business -- right?

Last week, I sold eggs to some of my friends -- so there was $7 in the "egg envelope". I gave that money to Lilly and said she could pay for her and Warren to see the movie. (its $4 per person).

(HEY -- A typical Grandma Camp Saturday costs $50. On this particular day: $25 for lunch, $12 for the movie, $6 for popcorn, and $7 for McFlurries. ugh...)

If Warren and Lilly did the work to gather the eggs, and clean them, it's a good lesson for them to understand how much work it required to ALMOST pay their own way into the movies.

When we got to the theater, Lilly gave the girl the $7 out of her pocket...and we went in to find our seats. We were ten minutes early, and the little theater was almost empty.

It had been a near perfect day...the Butterfly event was amazing, and the kids got to eat their favorite thing for lunch (breakfast). Warren was getting tired...but who can sleep through a Mission Impossible movie?

The previews had just started when I looked over, and realized Lilly was crying. Her shoulders were shaking...and tears were running down her face...I was stunned.

Me: (shocked)...Lilly -- what’s wrong?

Lilly: (shaking.) Nothing.

Me: Honey, OBVIOUSLY something is wrong. What happened? Why are you crying?

At this point, she was so upset -- we went out to the lobby so we could talk and I could see her face.


Lilly: (really losing it now...she managed to blurt these words out between sobs)....I can't tell you, Grandma...

Me: (worried now. she just finished her first week of 4th Grade...and I wondered if something happened at school...) Lilly, you know can tell me anything...

(l.o.n.g.....p.a.u.s.e...)

Lilly: I was going to use that money to pay for college...

I don't know who learned what that day...but I do know it's possible to fall asleep during a Mission Impossible movie....

2 comments: