Monday, September 17, 2018

Dads vs. Moms

I go to the YMCA five or six days a week to exercise in the pool. It is my new happy place. 

Yesterday...A young Dad came in with two small children....probably 4 and 2. 

This is very unusual.  Of course, I often see young families.  And lots of Moms and Grandmas bring  kids to the pool.  But, a Dad, by himself with two kids -- that's unusual.

So, I'm thinking, "good for him."

Hey -- it's a new world we're living in, people!!  When our boys were small, John never changed a single diaper.  (at least, at some point, he stopped BRAGGING about that...) 

I think it's wonderful that today's young fathers are stepping up and actually caring for their own children now and then. 

Anyway -- I digress...

It was late in the afternoon, and the pool was quiet.  The Dad and his two little ones get into the big pool with me  (there is a small children's pool, but it wasn't open).

The boy was 4 or 5 years old, and the little girl was younger.  (wearing training pants).

I don't know what Dad's plan was -- but neither child could swim, and the water even at the shallow end of the pool would be way over their heads. 

So, I marched along, watching and wondering what his plan was.  He wasn't very prepared...he didn't have any flotation devices or swimming wings for his kids.  Hummm....

They got in the pool.  The little boy was hanging on to the  wall of the pool....Dad held his little girl and splashed around a bit.  Obviously, neither child could swim. 

After just a few minutes, the little girl said she had to go to the bathroom. 

So, her Dad carried her over to the steps and they jumped out of the pool...and rushed into the Family Restroom hallway.

Hey, buddy - wait a minute?  Forget something??

YOUR SON IS STILL IN THE POOL!!

HEY, BUDDY...WAIT A MINUTE....YOU MUST TAKE BOTH KIDS WITH YOU!!

I jumping-jacked my way over to where the little boy was clinging to the wall.  And, at that same moment,  the young lifeguard (Sharon) got down from her high perch and calmly walked over to that end of the pool.  The little boy didn't seem one bit alarmed...

Sharon and I exchanged a glance, and held our positions until the Dad returned.  He and his daughter got back in the pool and the three of them frolic-ed on.

Neither Sharon nor I said anything to the Dad.  It was time for me to get out -- and Sharon's shift was up.

And I'm wondering if we should have said something to him....and I'm also wondering how often this happens in this 'NEW WORLD" we're living in.

Here's my point.  I think every MOM I ever knew would have taken her son along to the bathroom.  I mean -- DUH!!

And I also think that the young Moms believe the young Dads are doing the same job they would do.  But you've gotta wonder.  Because they will NEVER hear about the near-misses.  All they hear is "I took the kids to the pool today"....(then, Mom gives Dad a standing ovation).

But that young Dad DID NOT EVEN REALIZE HIS LITTLE BOY WAS AT RISK...

And, the truth is -- the kid was safe the whole time because two strangers saw what was happening.  Nobody ever knew that Sharon and I were there, watching...just in case....

Well, now you know.  But I feel kinda bitchy even writing about this...so I may not post this.  But I may also delete it....

It just made me think.  And wonder.  That maybe I should have said something to the young father...because clearly, HE HAD NO IDEA he did anything wrong...and how much do we all depend on the kindness of strangers...

Also, what really warrants a standing ovation in today's new world...







2 comments:

  1. oh, yes, say something! that was a teaching moment,

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter was a lifeguard and saw a mom allowing her toddler to submerge (unsafely) and only grab her up when it appeared she might drown. When DD blew her whistle the third time it happened the mom chewed out my DD for interfering. The mom was thrown out of the pool and banned for the remainder of the swim season. That child's life was likely saved by someone doing something. Thank you for doing something (standing guard) for that little boy! And yes, Dad may need a kind stranger to remind him of the dangers that lurk for unattended children, especially in or around a pool.

    ReplyDelete