Friday, July 9, 2021

Good's Furniture Store Day Trippin...

Before I actually CUT INTO the fabric for my new Franken-swivel-chair -- I decided to look at what the professionals have to offer.

We didn't have anything planned for the 4th of July -- so I decided John and I would make a trip to Kewanee, Illinois -- home of the semi-famous Good's Furniture Store. Holy Cow -- this place is HUGE...



It's actually several "connected" buildings in downtown Kewanee...

There are several buildings...most of them connected...and many levels in each location...


John sat down in the first chair he saw (and my salesperson, Danielle, put somebody in charge of him)


I felt like I was doing the final seconds of Guy's Grocery Game show. I told her I wanted to see swivel chairs...and we probably only had about 20 minutes...

She did her best..and the store is incredible. Danielle was lovely. And they had a wonderful selection of swivel chairs. In our speed shopping round, she probably showed me 40 different swivel chairs...

I don't want a low-back barrel chair...I don't want anything that is tufted...and I want a wide seat...

There was ONE CHAIR that appealed to me...here it is...

It's not a great picture -- but it was a very comfortable swivel chair...and I liked the simple lines. SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM??

 

Well, there was some sticker shock. Upholstered in fabric, the chair would cost...wait for it...drumroll....

$1.742.00

But, believe it or not -- the price isn't even my biggest problem. In all of their extraordinary, extensive collection of fabric swatches (I wish I'd taken a picture -- there was a MILE of different fabric swatches hanging in two long rows)...there was not ONE clear hot pink, turquoise, lime green or true orange.  Every single piece of fabric was a shade of beige, brown, black or gray.  Ugh.  Tweeds and plaids and prints -- but all of the same neutral color palette. 

I showed Danielle a picture of my painted buffet...and asked, "is there anything that would go with this?" 

She said..."not really..."



2 comments:

  1. We've noticed the lack of colors in furniture too, as we are shopping for a new couch and comfy chair. So sick of seeing gray everywhere, and taupe isn't much better. Our current couch is a rich deep green, red, and sand plaid. Unfortunately, it's the springs that are worn out. The fabric is in great condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, Rita, what a surprise that they didn't have anything that would work with your buffet!! Very short-sighted of them!! I suppose if you got that chair, you would either have to reupholster it yourself or send it out for a custom job.

    Danielle sounds like a super salesperson, and how nice that she put someone "in charge of" John so you could make best use of your time! I wish we lived closer--that store sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete