Friday, May 1, 2020

You WIN some, and you LOSE some...

Some things work out better than others....

When the kids and I spent the Saturday before Easter creating the "Social Distance Cafe"-- I knew we were taking a risk. My Dad gave that park to the City of Princeton many years ago -- so, technically, I should have called to ask permission to do what we did.

But I decided to go down that alternate Martha Pullen road instead...you know -- when you just BUY THE SEWING MACHINE of your dreams without talking to your husband first -- then, you ask forgiveness after you bring it into the house...

The thing is, I knew exactly what I was doing. I figured the City would turn it into a cluster____. There would be a meeting with the Parks committee....people would object because the pinwheels were made in China...who knows??...It would take weeks. They would say no. I would be pissed.

So, instead, we JUST DID IT. The kids had been home from school for a month...we were socially distancing...I was missing them...and wanted to do something together.  Something they would remember when THEY were 70 years old.  Kind of a GRAND gesture...

The bear was a complete surprise for Lilly and Warren.  THEY WERE DELIGHTED

I delivered the vinyl signs to their house early in the week -- and they spent two days painting them.

We spent the whole day in the park -- setting up the chairs, and placing 30 red, white and blue pinwheels (thanks, Amazon)

They painted giant hearts on some old vinyl tablecloths.
On Easter Sunday, I saw two bicycle riders sitting in our chairs, taking a break and drinking their bottled water.  I called the kids to tell them somebody was actually USING THE PARK..!!

Sadly,  our adorable little Social Distance Cafe lasted only a few days. Monday, we had some horrible storms....the lawn chairs blew over, and the heart tablecloth was all ripped up.  Tuesday I did some repairs...it really did look fine again.

But, then -- on Wednesday -- the City sent a crew to clear everything away. Although I was disappointed -- I was not surprised.

But -- that's okay. I got exactly what I wanted out of our little park...

So, all in all -- this is one activity that worked out GREAT...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment