Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Pork and Sauerkraut

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

I basically write this post every January 1...  Because -- OF ALL THE DAYS in a year -- for John -- New Year's Day IS ALL ABOUT TRADITION.

Here's the thing...over the years, every holiday has changed in one way or another.  We used to have a live Christmas tree, but 20 years ago we adopted fakery.  When the boys were small, I did an Easter morning scavenger hunt...then, for years, we went to my niece Nicole's house for her traditional Easter Egg hunt...

Well -- you get the idea.  I CAN DEAL WITH CHANGE.  But, the menu for New Year's Day has NEVER CHANGED...and that's what makes it special...

Every year, since 1970 (OMG...that's 50 years now!!) I have been making the same meal on New Year's Day.... fresh pork roast, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. It is a tradition from John's Pennsylvania roots -- and it's supposed to "bring you luck"...and so far, it's working.

We attribute every bit of our happiness and good fortune to our New Year's Tradition of eating fresh pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day.  (Never mind hard work, responsible choices and Ritaluck -- WE CREDIT THE SAUERKRAUT)...

I am putting up a current photo...this is a selfie from our 2019 anniversary day trip...

We drove up to see the leaves near Dubuque, Iowa...
The side dishes may change -- but it is ALWAYS a large fresh pork roast with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. This tradition is very popular in Pennsylvania. And as near as I can tell -- IT DOES NOT MATTER where your people came from -- Italy, Ireland, Poland -- every family in Pennsylvania eats this meal on January First.

Children don't like pork and sauerkraut...(maybe it's an acquired taste)...And -- HEY -- January 1 is also Warren's Birthday!! So the kids don't come to my house for this meal. I don't want his birthday memories to center around food he did not like...

So -- we'll visit Warren later on in the day to eat the Farro Family Birthday cake (Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter icing)...

Last year, we shared the meal with my brother Calvin, our friend Jack...
And Ross (here -- mashing the potatoes).

Last year, I made cornbread...
I'll make two fresh pork roasts. After many hours of cooking low and slow,  I'll skim the fat and one roast will get two large jars of Frank's sauerkraut. (with an apple, cut in quarters). The second roast will provide drippings for a delicious gravy.  There will be a large bowl of mashed potatoes.

Thank goodness I adopted this Pennsylvania pork and sauerkraut tradition 50 years ago.

WHO KNOWS WHAT KIND OF BAD LUCK we have avoided??

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! Our traditional New Year's Dinner for about 10 years now is my 15-bean and ham soup. I use the leftover hambone (with lots of ham left on it) from our Honeybaked Ham. Eight hours in the crock pot. I also make cornbread. However, my recipe is one I found at least 20 years ago in Taste of Home magazine. It uses whipping cream and is baked in a 9x9 pyrex dish, so it is not as dense as traditional cornbread.

    ReplyDelete