Saturday, May 22, 2021

John's Progress

Thank you, Laura...I have your gift hanging in my car....

John is doing GREAT. And I'm not just saying that. I believe the biggest factor in his improvement has been that his doctor TOOK HIM OFF ALL THE DRUGS he's been taking for years. There were two diabetic oral medications, a high blood pressure pill, and a cholesterol pill. He stopped ALL OF THEM the day John went into the Memory Care Unit. John only gets one shot of long-lasting insulin at night, before he goes to bed.

AND that has made a world of difference. For several years, John has been having lots of bathroom issues -- and the simple fact is -- that's not happening now.

Don't get me wrong -- John still has Alzheimer's. He can't remember our wedding -- or how many kids we have -- or what he had for lunch two minutes ago. But his behavior is appropriate, and he's in a good mood most of the time. He knows who I am -- and he actually lights up when he sees me. The truth is -- he's like a teenager in love. He can't stop telling me how much he loves me...he wants to hold hands, and hug me and sit close together to watch television.

I go to the MCU every single day and spend several hours with him. We usually go out -- and the little trips have been going fine. Last week, we had lunch at the Olive Garden -- and he used a spoon to eat the soup (as opposed to the fork, which he had been doing). Ross comes every single day and spends several hours with him, too. The other day, they went to the Home Depot.

I took him to a Garden Center and we bought some plants for the garden at the MCU...


I took Frankie to visit one day.  There is a nice courtyard that John can access...it has a raised garden where he can plant things.

I take the kids -- and we play games. And have pizza delivered!

He has two of his own deer heads hanging in his room...

John is SO MUCH BETTER. When Elliott went to visit him last week, he said, "he was like Dad 2019"...and I had to laugh. That is EXACTLY what this feels like. 

So, I'm bringing him home.  There is no peace for me having him in Memory Care....I'll have some home health aides come to the house several days a week.  AND I'm installing a door at the base of our stairs so we won't have to argue about that in the middle of the night.

I've bought a new co-op in town...where we can "age in place".  John knows about that now.  We drive by the construction site almost every day.  Things will be much easier when we get moved (not until November)...

But, for now, I want John to have one last summer/fall in our Princeton home....and I'm looking forward to celebrating Father's Day on the porch.

6 comments:

  1. So happy he's doing better and can come home with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Rita, I am SO HAPPY to hear this!! Praise God!! Happy to hear you can have him back at home again. I will let our prayer group know.
    love, hugs, and prayers, Charlotte Trayer

    ReplyDelete
  3. This news makes me happy! Will continue praying for you, John and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What wonderful news and I am so happy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete