Friday, May 25, 2018

Mother's Day

Before the month of May becomes a distant memory....I want to say a few words about Mother's Day. For me, that day has generally sucked....and I have struggled with how to make it not suck.

So -- here are just a few of the things I've tried in the past...

Plan #1: For years, Mother's Day was the kick-off porch/picnic event of the summer. I invited my people, planned the meal, did the shopping, cleaning and cooking.
  • FLAW: I spent the better part of two days getting ready for the big inaugural summer event...and my people didn't show up on time...
Plan #2: I decided to make Mother's Day an "Open House" kind of event.  Make food that could be eaten whenever anybody showed up...
  • FLAW: Turns out, I spent all of Saturday in the kitchen, making Mufalletta sandwiches, potato salad, deviled eggs and a cake. STILL WAY TOO MUCH WORK...and people coming in shifts meant it went on a.l.l....d.a.y...l.o.n.g...
Plan #3: Ignore Mother's Day. I only tried this once...
  • FLAW: My people did EXACTLY what I asked them to do. Nothing. But, as the day wore on, I got more pissed off and sad...by 6:00 PM, I threw myself on the bed, sobbing.

The good news is -- NOW I'VE GOT IT..!! My family loves me. They WANT me to enjoy Mother's Day.  I really need to TELL THEM WHAT I WANT....

And, as simple as this sounds -- I need to decide WHAT THAT IS...

Okay.  I want everybody to come here.  I want to remember and honor my own mother.  I want the meal to be simple....but I want to eat on the good china and use Aunt Rozella's silver...

Lilly and Warren set the table with Aunt Rozella's silver...
They picked out the new napkins Carrie gave me...
The special china comes out five or six times a year...
John spent all day out in the garage -- smoking a whole bunch of ribs.
Lilly and I made a Pinneapple Dream Cake -- One of my Mom's favorites.  I got to tell stories about my mother...and her sister, my Aunt Rozella...
We shared this day with my brother Cal, his wife Jeanne and their daughter Kelly.  Also, our friend Jack,
The ribs were spectacular.  And I didn't lift a finger...
I made a big crock pot of Cowboy Beans...which were terrific...
Tomorrow I'm going to post my complete Mother's Day Master Menu. BECAUSE IT'S THAT GOOD. And it's taken me years to perfect this simple, yet delicious plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment